This tool is designed to upload new employees to the system in bulk directly from an excel spreadsheet. If you wish to update an existing employee's information in bulk, please see the below article on the People® Employee Data Updater Tool:
To use the bulk actions tool to upload new employee information:
- Click on the Bulk Actions tab on the left hand menu:
2. Select the 'Employee Data Upload' option:
From here, you will be presented with the below screen:
3. To download the data sheet template, click the blue linked text "Download "Bulk Employee Upload" Template:
Inputting the data - things to note:
- We advise to test with 1 test employee to ensure you're confident with this feature
- The red/orange columns are mandatory
- The blue columns are optional
- Each row creates a new employee record
- If uploading an employee with the same Employee ID as an existing employee, this will override the existing employee record (leavers included).
- This should to be saved as an .xls file
- Dates should be added in the DD/MM/YYYY format
4. Once the data sheet has been completed and you are ready to save, a small change needs to be made to the file name. It will download to your computer as:
Please change the 'yourcompanyname' text to your URL sub domain.
For example, if your URL is:
your file should be saved as:
5. To upload your file, go back into the Bulk Actions area and select 'Browse':
6. Once uploaded, click 'Validate Excel':
This will review your file and provide you with any validation messages, errors etc.
The number of existing employee records in the system, and a list of them shown.
Excel - Consolidated:
The number and list of all records you are attempting to upload in this instance.
Excel - Valid:
The number and list of records that are consolidated and are valid uploads - correct information has been applied.
Excel - Error:
This will show any records that have errors against this upload that will need to be rectified before going forward. For example, any Mandatory information that has been missed.
Excel - Warning:
This will present any warning that you may wish to change before going forward, but are not mandatory. For example, two employee records with the same national insurance number.
7. If changes need to be made, you can simply edit the file saved to your computer, re-upload and select 'Validate' again.
8. Once you have reviewed the validation messages and made changes if necessary, select 'Upload Data' in the bottom right hand corner:
9. You will be shown a confirmation message:
We advise to test with 1 test employee first to ensure you're confident with this feature.
Once data has been uploaded we will be unable to override this information in bulk, and therefore will be unable to rectify any errors. Please double check and ensure all information has been added correctly within the data sheet before uploading.
Customer Services Team.