The People HR Offline Backup Tool is designed to allow IT teams to backup data from People® on a regular basis providing you with an offline backup mechanism through a bulk download.
There are two versions of this tool - the external offline backup tool and the tool explained this in this article. Although the external tool is only compatible with Windows machines, this version allows you to run silently in the background. To find out more on this version and how to use it, please see:
The tool explained in this article is held in the Plugins tab of People® and therefore can be used on any computer you login to your system on.
Please note: You must ensure that any tool/software that you use is kept up to date with the most recent version. This is to ensure you are up to date with any bug fixes and will avoid errors.
To use this tool:
1. As this data is extracted from a query, build some queries that include the data you wish to extract. Click here to learn more on queries.
2. You'll then need to create and copy an API key that includes the all areas in the following endpoints: Query, Employee, and Document. On how to create an API key, please see: http://help.peoplehr.com/integrations/creating-an-api-key
3. Once you have built the queries and copied the API key, click on the 'Plugins' tab:
4. Select the tab 'New Requests'
5. Select the 'Offline Backup Tool'
6. You will then be presented with this screen:
7. Paste the API key in the field specified
8. Enter the query names of all queries you wish to export, using commas to separate:
9. You also have the option to export all employee documents and/or all employee photos - just tick the relevant tick boxes to do so.
10. Select Submit - you will then be presented with a similar screen:
If you then go back into the 'Requests' tab, you will see an audit when this tool was ran. The next time you run this tool, you can simply select the 'Repeat' button to retrieve the past settings.
For more information on this tab, please see: http://help.peoplehr.com/plugins/plugins
Quick Tip! If running this on a MAC and you use the default MAC archive utility for opening zip files, all employee documents will appear under one root folder once extracted. To group documents into separate folders per employee, we advise installing an archiver that allows more flexibility when extracting zip files.
Your IT team may have a preferred utility for this.
--Schedule to repeat automatically--
Once you have made a plugin request, you can schedule this Plugin to run automatically. By clicking the 'Schedule' button on the 'Requests' page, you'll be directed to this screen:
- Description - will be the name of the schedule, so you can see what it is set to at a quick look.
- Start date - When you wish for the scheduling to start.
- End date - You can leave this blank if you wish for this to be continuous.
- Repeat every - For this plugin, you can only select 24 hour repeat time.
- Status - You can set this as inactive at any time.
- Select the days you wish to run this on - you may not wish for notifications to push through on weekends for example.
- Click 'Save'.
You can view all your schedules plugins in the 'Schedule' tab.
Customer Services Team.